Ruba Shamshoum is a Palestinian musician, born and raised in Nazareth and currently living in Dublin, Ireland. Ruba’s music draws from the harmony, sensibility, improvisation and playfulness of jazz, mixed with tinges of Middle Eastern and Arabic musical elements that compliment her style and bring it to unique and distinctive places.
In 2011, Ruba dove into music, and made it her profession; She studied jazz performance at Newpark Music Centre, wrote music for film (When I Saw You), released a few singles that generated much acclaim and were a part of top indie charts in the Middle East and North Africa, performed in international festivals in Ireland, the UK and the Middle East, and gave a TED talk about finding your own distinctive voice in music and art.
In May 2017, Ruba released her debut album ‘Shamat’ (Beauty Spots), written and arranged by her. Each song on the album explores different shades of emotion.
Press and Special mentions >>>
- All About Jazz – “Shamat” album review (2017)
- The Irish Times – interview (2017)
- Hot Press – interview (2017)
- Beehype – Great Music From the Middle East (2017)
- The Irish Times – “Shamat” album review (2017)
- Beehype – Best Music from the Middle East and North Africa (2014)
- December 2017. World Arabic Language Day. Chester Beaty Library, Dublin.
- December 2017. Bala Feesh. Amman, Jordan.
- November 2017. Radical Love: Female Lust Exhibition. GalleryX, Dublin.
- November 2017. BAN BAM: Creative Women – Changing the Standard. The Complex, Dublin.
- August 2017. Mahrajazz – The First Palestinian Initiative for a Jazz Festival. Kabareet, Haifa.
- July 2017. Hotter Than July World Music Festival. Smithfield Sq. Dublin.
- June 2017, ‘Shamat’ Album Launch Concert. Rich Mix, London.
- May 2017, ‘Shamat’ Album Launch Concert. Whelan’s, Dublin.
- April 2017, performed at Bray Jazz Festival. The Harbour Bar, Bray.
- October 2016 – Palest’In & Out Festival – The Palestinian Edition. Kabareet, Haifa.
- July 2016 – Performed at LAAF (Liverpool Arab Arts Festival). The Blue Coat, Liverpool.
- July 2016 – Palfest Ireland. O’Reilly Theatre, Dublin.
- May 2016 – Gave a TED talk at TEDx London Business School about: “Creativity in a Society that Worships the Past.” London.
- March 2016 – Performed in London at AWAN-Arab Women Artists Now. Rich Mix, London.
- March 2016 – Arthur’s. Dublin.
- October 2015 – Bello Bar. Dublin.
- May 2015 – National Concert Hall in Dublin, as part of her graduation from Newpark Music Centre. Dublin.
- 2014 – Performed in Africa Day Festival with Newpark’s Latin band. Farmleigh House (Phoenix Park), Dublin.
- 2012- Performed at TEDx Nazareth alongside Toot Ard band. Nazareth.
- 2010-2011 – Rouge Ensemble. Nazareth and Haifa.
Contact details, Web & Social media >>>
Support Ruba Shamshoum by buying her featured products >>>